As a parent of a young child with a disability, it is important for you to know that you are not alone. STARnet is one of many sources that can offer reassurance, help you connect to other parents who may be facing a similar situation, help you learn more about your child’s disability, and help you understand the services provided by the early childhood community.
The STARnet Project is operated by Chicago Public Schools’ Office of Diverse Learner Supports and Services through a grant from the Illinois State Board of Education. STARnet provides a wealth of opportunities for personal and professional growth for those who care for young children, ages birth through eight, with an emphasis on children with special needs.
- Information on specific disabilities
- Information on how your child’s disability affects all areas of your family’s life, including education, health, siblings and daily activities
- Loans of material from a lending library of approximately 1,200 items
- Free workshops and conferences on topics of interest to families
- Financial assistance for families with a child age 3, 4, or 5, who has an IEP to attend in-state conferences
- Financial assistance for education professionals who desire more training
- Networking with other families whose child has a similar disability.
To learn more about STARNET Chicago, visit www.starnetchicago.org
For a list of STARnet events, download the STARnet Workshop Calendar.
To access a comprehensive searchable database of Early Childhood trainings in Illinois, visit the Gateways to Opportunity Statewide Online Training Calendar, the shared calendar for Illinois Early Childhood Programs for IDHS, ISBE, and DCFS.
STARnet Lending Library
STARnet operates a lending library of books and videos that are available for loan to Chicago city residents who are part of STARnet Region V. Residents may borrow up to five library resources for up to four weeks. The borrower must return the materials to the STARnet office or will be billed for replacement costs.
Browse the library catalog online and place resources on reserve for pick-up. Request materials by sending an email to email@example.com with your name, book or resource title(s) and SKU number(s).
Materials must be returned to:
STARnet Region V
CPS Garfield Park Office
2651 W. Washington Blvd., 2nd Floor
Chicago, IL 60612
Questions? Call STARnet at 773-553-5596.