When riding a bicycle to school or in their neighborhood, children should follow these safety rules:
- Choose a safe cycling route to school. Stay away from high traffic routes and fast-moving vehicles. Watch for other vehicles sharing the roadway.
- Wear a helmet every time you ride your bike. Wear bright, reflective clothing that will help others see you in the roadway or on the sidewalk.
- Always obey the same traffic laws as other vehicles do when traveling on a roadway. Travel with the flow of traffic when traveling on a roadway and always use the proper hand signals to indicate turns and stops.
- When riding through an intersection, look left, right, and left again and only continue through when it is safe to do so.
- When riding on the sidewalk, yield to pedestrians and always be careful when riding near other children.
- Don’t ride a bicycle after dark unless it is equipped with an adequate lighting system that can be seen by other vehicles.
For more information, contact School Safety and Security at (773) 553-3030.