Parent Resources Español
The New Aspen Parent Portal
Chicago Public Schools is excited to announce that starting April 22nd, 2019, Parent Portal will be replaced with a new system called Aspen. Aspen will provide the same capabilities of the old Parent Portal while adding new features including Graduation Requirements, Student Fees and a new, easy-to-use mobile interface.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To access the new Aspen Parent Portal, all current portal users and parents who are interested in creating an account for the first time must set up a new account. Existing Parent Portal accounts will not automatically be transferred to Aspen. Follow the steps below to set up a new Aspen Parent Portal Account.
How do I sign up for an Aspen Parent Portal account?
Existing Parent Portal accounts will not automatically be transferred to Aspen.* To access the new system, current portal users and parents who are interested in creating a portal account for the first time must confirm the following with their school’s main office:
- You are listed as a contact for your student(s) in the current Student Information System, and
- You have an up-to-date email address in the current Student Information System
- Note: Updating your email address on the previous Parent Portal will NOT update your email address with the main office.
- If you have students across multiple schools within the District, each school should have your contact email address as well.
Once parent contact information has been verified by the student’s school, parents will receive a signup email from Aspen.
*The District cannot convert your current portal account over to the new Aspen system automatically. Knowledge of your current Parent Portal password is exclusive to you and cannot be transferred over.
When will I receive my signup email from Aspen?
If your email address is logged into the District’s student information system by the staff at your student’s school before April 12th, you will receive an email close to April 22, with instructions on how to securely set up your new Aspen Parent Portal account. After Aspen’s launch on April 22nd, the initial setup email can be sent to your account as soon as your email address is logged into the student information system by your student’s school.
A short video can be found walking you through the email setup process. Please note that the contents of the emails as well as the setup process are in both English and Spanish.
What features does the Aspen Parent Portal have?
Aspen will provide the same capabilities of the current Portal while adding new features as well. Below is a listing of current features that will continue to be available and new features that will be included in the new system.
- Student Assignments
- Student Grades
- Student Schedules
- Student Attendance
- Grade and Attendance Notifications through email or text messages
- Student Fees, including Credit Card payments
- Health Compliance
- High school student's progress against graduation requirements
- Mobile-friendly Format
To learn more about Aspen’s features, watch the videos below:
- Navigating the Parent Portal (
- Navigating the Mobile Interface (
How do I get assistance with setting up my Aspen account?
Your school is instrumental in helping you get your Aspen account connected to your student. If you encounter an issue during the signup process for any of your students, please reach out to your child’s school for assistance.
Will training on the Aspen Parent Portal be offered?
Aspen Parent Portal Training at Parent University sessions will be held across the city.
Prior to the official launch of Aspen on April 22nd, Parent University will host seven one-hour sessions that will show parent’s the capabilities of the new Parent Portal and walk them through the upcoming email setup process. As part of these sessions, CPS would like to hear feedback from parents regarding what additional features the Aspen Parent Portal can bring in the future.
The following training sessions are scheduled for March 2019:
| March 8th, 2019
|| 9:30 am
|| Network 12 Parent University at Bouchet Elementary Math & Science Academy (7355 S. Jeffery Ave, Chicago, IL 60649)
| March 12th, 2019
|| 10:30 am
|| Network 3 Parent University at Michele Clark Magnet High School (5101 W. Harrison St, Chicago, IL 60644)
| March 13th, 2019
|| 9:30 am
|| Network 4 Parent University at Avondale-Logandale Elementary (3212 W. George St, Chicago, IL 60618)
|March 15th, 2019
|| 10:00 am
|| Networks 7, 8, and 10 Parent University at Gage Park High School (5630 S. Rockwell St, Chicago, IL 60629)
| March 19th, 2019
|| 10:00 am
|| Network 11 Parent University at Joplin Elementary School (7927 S. Honore St, Chicago, IL 60620)
| March 20th, 2019
|| 10:00 am
|| Network 9 Parent University at Walter H. Dyett High School for the Arts (555 E. 51st St, Chicago, IL 60615)
| March 21st, 2019
|| 10:30 am
|| Network 13 Parent University at George Henry Corliss High School (821 East 103rd, Chicago, IL 60628)
Additional Comments and Support
- The amount and frequency of information entered into the Parent Portal may vary from school to school and teacher to teacher. Talk to your child’s school about their grading policies for more information.
- If you do not have a home computer, please check with your child’s school to see if they have a designated computer. Alternatively, you can use your valid Chicago Public Library (CPL) card at any branch to access the Parent Portal. To use a CPL public computer, you must have a valid CPL card in good standing. Simply make an online reservation at the PC Reservation Station. You can choose from the next available PC or pick a time that is most convenient for you. Patrons are allowed two 1-hour PC sessions each day.
- Progress reports, report cards and high school transcripts are not available on the Aspen Parent Portal. Please contact your child’s school for transcript information.