Interested in forming an alumni association? Here is a list of suggestions on how to start your association.
- Register with the IRS as a non-profit organization. To find out how to register, visit the IRS website .
- Meet with the principal of a school and get permission to use the school’s address as the non-profit organization’s mailing address.
- Research how parliamentary procedures work.
- Appoint officers until an election can be held.
- Open a checking account for the organization requiring at least two signatures on every check.
- Extend membership to both the principal and LSC president.
- Carefully select an issue to rally around (e.g. band uniforms).
- Canvas neighborhood businesses to offer them memberships.