Back To School Information

Minimum Health Requirements

Make sure that your child is healthy and ready to learn by the start of the school year! Check in with your school and medical provider to find out what immunizations and health exams are required for school. For more information regarding health requirements and where to go for exams and immunizations, please look at the information below.

What are the Minimum Health Requirements for School?
Proof of immunizations and exams are due at school by October 15, 2015. If you have questions about what your child needs for school, please call your school's main office. Schools will help identify what your child needs to be in medical compliance. Also, ALL students must turn in the Student Medical Information Form to their schools at the beginning of the year.

As of school year 2015-2016 a NEW meningitis vaccine will be required for students entering 6th and 12th grades. One dose is required for students entering 6th grade, and two doses are required of students entering 12th grade (if the first dose was given at age 16 or older, only one dose will be required at 12th grade).

Where can I go to receive back to school healthcare services?
CCPS encourages all families to have a Medical Home. A medical home will allow your child and family to access better healthcare. The medical home is where you can access affordable, quality, culturally competent, and coordinated healthcare. If your family has a medical home, make a back to school appointment as soon as possible. Please see below for more healthcare resources.

Does your family have questions about Medicaid and how to find a medical home?

What about Medical Insurance?
The CPS Children and Family Benefits Unit (CFBU) provides assistance for CPS families that are eligible for benefit programs such as medical insurance. All Kids medical coverage provides insurance for children in Illinois, regardless of immigration status. For more information, please call: 773-553-KIDS (5437).

What if I have more questions about student health and wellness?
Feel free to call the CPS Office of Student Health and Wellness at (773) 553-3560.

FACE Community Calendar






Chinatown Summer Fair

Wentworth Ave and Cermak Rd



Hope Fest

New Convenant Church, 3400 W. Division Street



Taste of Lincoln Ave

N. Lincoln Ave btw Fullerton and Wrightwood



Taste of Lincoln Ave

N. Lincoln Ave btw Fullerton and Wrightwood



Fiesta del Sol

1400 W. Cermak Road



Fiesta del Sol

1400 W. Cermak Road



Fiesta del Sol

1400 W. Cermak Road



Family & Friends Festival and Annual Health Fair

6320 S. Dorchester Ave



12th Annual Health and Fitness Fair

Illinois Institute of Technology, 33rd and State Street



37th Ward Annual Back to School Gospel Fest

LaFollette Park, 1333 N. Laramie



National Night Out

6500 S. Racine Street



Bud Billiken Parade

35th and King Drive



1st Ward Back to School Health and Resource Fair

Moos Elementary, 1711 N. California



Birth Parent Council's Back to School

6201 S. Emerald

5:00 PM


Alderman Pat Dowell's Third Ward Back-to-School Fair

Fuller Park, 331 W. 45th Street



Starting the Year Off Right

The Salvation Army, 945 W. 69th



The Englewood Back to School Parade

Ogden Park, 6500 S. Racine



24th District Back to School Event

Peterson Garden Project, 1601 W. Howard



Back to School

2611 N Lockwood Ave



22nd Annual Back to School Block Party and Resource Fair

6107 S. Talman Avenue

10:00 AM


28th Ward Back to School Picnic

Marshall High School Campus Park, 3250 W. Adams



50th Ward Back to School Fair

Warren Park, 6601 N. Western Ave



31st Ward Back to School Fair

Foreman High School, 3235 N. Leclaire Ave



Back to School Celebration for Barnard Elementary School

Barnard Elementary School, 10354 S. Charles



Jane A. Neil Back to School Blast

Jane A. Neil Parking Lot, 8555 S Michigan Ave



12th Annual Back to School Health Fair

Riis Park, 6100 W. Fullerton



Back to School Fun and Fitness Festival

645 S. Central Ave



So Fresh Saturdays - Back to School Finale

Hamilton Park Cultural Center, 513 W. 72nd Street



Alderman Moore's Picnic

Beach, 1100 W. Farwell



48th Ward Back to School

Senn High School, 5900 N. Glenwood Ave



Nettelhorst Elementary Ice Cream Social & Open House

Nettelhorst Elementary, 3252 N. Broadway



Mireles Academy Back to School Rally

Mireles Academy, 9000 S. Exchange Ave



Bronzeville Family Festival

Armstrong Park, 4434 S. Saint Lawrence Ave



79th Street Renaissance Festival

1159 West 79th Street



Edgewater Back to School 5K Run/Walk

Lakefront at Rosemont and Kenmore


Frequently Asked Questions


When does school begin?
The first day of school for ALL CPS STUDENTS is Tuesday, September 8, 2015. Charter school start dates differ and are available here.

What are my Neighborhood School options?
You can find your neighborhood schools using the CPS School locator

What are the bell times for my child's school?
Bell times vary by school. To learn what the bell times are for your child's school, either call the school's main office or contact the Office of Teaching and Learning at (773) 553-2517. The majority of CPS schools will keep their SY14-15 bell times. A list of schools with new bell times is available here.

What is the dress code at my child's school?
Information on dress codes can be obtained by contacting your child' school directly. Locate your child's school here: Network Support

My child needs a CTA/Bus (Ventra) pass, who do I speak to about this?
Please contact your school directly. Locate your child's school at: School Locator

My child needs transportation services. Who do I contact?
To find out if your child is eligible for transportation assistance, please visit the Transportation Information, or call the Office of Transportation Services at (773) 553-2860.

What are the safe Passage Routes for my School?
Please contact your school directly. Locate your child's school at: School Locator


How do I enroll my child in a Chicago Public School?
Start by selecting a school. You can find your neighborhood school and other school options by using the School Locator. Next, contact or visit your desired school to speak with an administrator about the enrollment process.

How do I enroll my child in a Selective Enrollment school?
For information on selective enrollment schools, as well as magnet schools, Career and Technical Education programs, and other options, call the Office of Access and Enrollment at (773) 553-2060 or visit

How do I enroll my child in preschool?
For complete details on Chicago: Ready to Learn!, CPS' school-based early childhood program, please visit Ready to Learn or call the Office of Early Childhood Education at (773) 553-2010.

How do I obtain school records/transcripts?
You may be able to obtain records by calling the school directly. If not, please contact the Office of Student Records at (773) 553-2340.

Health and Wellness

What are the Minimum Health Requirements to enroll my child in School?
You can find information and resources in the Health Requirements section.

I need to register my child for free or reduced lunch. Who can I speak to about this?
For questions about free and reduced lunch, please call the Office of Nutrition Services at (773) 553-2830 and choose Option 8.

Where can I take my child to receive a vision or dental screening?
Vision and dental screenings are available at various locations throughout the city. You can find the details in the Health Requirements section.

Where can I take my child to receive vaccinations?
Under the Health Requirements section, you can find information on vaccinations and other minimum health requirements for CPS.

Diverse Learners

I have questions about my child's Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Is there a department that can help me?
Yes, you should feel free to contact the Department of Diverse Learner Supports and Services at (773) 553-1800.

My child may have diverse learning needs. How can I get them evaluated?
Please contact the Office of Diverse Learner Supports and Services at (773) 553-1800.

Can children of families who are homeless or in temporary living situations still enroll in school and receive services?
Yes. Please contact the Office of Students in Temporary Living Situations - (773) 553-2242 for information and support.

Can I apply for public benefits with CPS such as low cost health or SNAP/food stamps?
Yes, If you would prefer to apply for benefits with CPS' CFBU, instead of going to the local Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) office, you can:

  1. Call CFBU's hotline at 773-553-KIDS (5437)
  2. Call or visit the liaison CFBU liaisons
  3. An application will be completed by the CFBU Liaison.
  4. You can review and return your application with the required verification documents either by mail or by taking them back to the CFBU liaison's office.
  5. View the list of verification documents needed to apply.
  6. Verification checklist English | Spanish
  7. Liaison will submit your application to the local IDHS office on your behalf.

Is there a Back to School Hotline?
Yes. The number for the Back to School Hotline is (773) 553-3223.

Supply the Future

Chicago Public Schools is seeking donations of school supplies to support the 2015 Back to School Campaign.



Attendance & Truancy

What can I do to support my child and their daily attendance? Attendance guide: [English | Spanish].

Career & Technical Education (CTE) Programs

Career & Technical Education (CTE) is a collection of high school programs that prepare students for life-long success. Students receive a college-prep education as well as technical skills that allow them to graduate from high school with more than a high school diploma. [Guide | Matrix | Postcard]

Chicago School Fair – Save the Date!

The Chicago School Fair – an opportunity for students and their families to explore all CPS high schools under one roof will take place on Saturday, November 14 and Sunday, November 15 at Navy Pier. [Flyer English | Flyer Spanish]

City Colleges of Chicago – Dual Enrollment

The City Colleges of Chicago offer one free college course per semester to CPS high school juniors and seniors. For more information click here.

Enrollment Procedures/Requirements 

Enrollment Poster - English.

Enrollment Poster - Spanish.

Enrollment Poster - Polish.

Freshman Welcome Back Letter

Important details for students and parent(s)/guardian(s) of incoming CPS freshmen. Click here.

My School Bucks

Office of Nutrition Support Services is excited to offer MySchoolBucks®! This online payment service provides a quick and easy way to add money to your student's meal account using a credit/debit card or electronic check.

For more information click here.

Parent Portal

The Parent Portal is a unique web-based tool that allows you to securely view your child's grades and attendance online. Parent Portal Orientation: [English | Spanish]

Student Code of Conduct

The Student Code of Conduct (SCC) is adopted by the Chicago Board of Education each year to help create a safe environment for all students and school person­nel. The SCC sets forth the expected behaviors for students and a transparent process for administrators to redirect inappropriate behavior. [English | Spanish | Polish]

Students in Temporary Living Situations (S.T.L.S.)

Whatever your temporary situation is, STLS can help you get to school and stay in school. STLS is a required part of every school. To receive these services, ask to see our STLS liaison at your school and explain that you are in a temporary living situation. For more information, click here.

Student Outreach and Re-engagement Centers (S.O.A.R.)

Our schools offer additional supports and services for students who have been out of school and seek to return, or who may need opportunities to earn credits in an accelerated program. More information, click here.

Sponsors & Partners

Page Last Modified on Wednesday, August 19, 2015