Transitioning to Aspen
We are excited to announce that we will be launching Aspen, our new Student Information System, on January 7, 2019. To prepare for CPS’ transition from IMPACT to Aspen, we worked with principals and staff across the district to create a comprehensive training plan for our users.
While we realize that there is no ideal or convenient time of year to roll out a new system, launching after winter break gives you the flexibility to train in Aspen after settling into a new school year. Additionally, we’ve created a unique training environment that will give you an authentic experience with the system before it goes live.
Below are some of the key features of our training plan. As we approach the launch of Aspen, please be on the lookout for communications regarding important training information.
Change champions are school-based staff who will help your school transition to Aspen. Those in this role will be provided a stipend to perform tasks listed below. Depending on the size of your school, your principal will nominate 2-7 change champions to train staff.
- Trusted and respected by colleagues
- Possess a deep understanding of the school’s culture
- Energized by learning new things
- Openness to change
- A focus on solutions
- Able and willing to communicate effectively about the change
- Attend a two-day, intensive training in the Summer of 2018 to develop expertise in the system (multiple dates/locations)
- Work with principal to determine and implement the best training plan for their school
- Serve as on-the-ground support before, during, and after implementation
- Assist school staff by training and answering questions
In order to provide ample training time and allow staff to become familiar with the new system before it is live, we are launching the Sandbox. The Sandbox will be a training environment that mirrors data from IMPACT. When logged in, staff will see all of their own information (schools, students, staff, attendance, grades, etc.). They can then “play” in the Sandbox to get used to the navigation and practice the functions they will perform once the system is live, all with the familiarity of their own data.