On Saturday, May 10, Chicago youth are invited to attend Destination: Chicago – a FREE festival of doing and making sponsored by the Chicago City of Learning (CCOL).
A citywide, year-round program, CCOL sees all of Chicago as a classroom – with endless opportunities to learn new skills, discover passions and build pathways to further education and careers. At Destination: Chicago, students are given the chance to sample and sign up for summer programs offered by organizations throughout the city. The event will be held at Jones College Prep High School – 700 S. State Street – from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
“For the families of young Chicagoans, this event is a must-do,” said Nichole Pinkard of DePaul University’s Digital Youth Network, which along with the City of Chicago and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation leads the work of CCOL. No matter what the interest, Chicago has it. And Destination: Chicago is the place to sample it,”
The festival promises to entertain, with partner organizations offering activities and workshops in music, technology, nature, architecture, digital media, art, fashion and even hip hop yoga. Participants can:
- Get their hands dirty while studying insects and plants with The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum.
- Make their own music with Chicago Park District’s Inferno Mobile Recording Studio.
- Transform a selfie pic into a selfie sticker using graphics software and a vinyl cutter with FUSE.
- Be green and stylin’ when they design outfits from recycled materials with Adler Planetarium’s Youth Leadership Council.
- Learn how the Shedd Aquarium monitors the health and habitats of its occupants.
- Get Happy with Mindful Practices’ Hip Hop Yoga and the popular tune from Pharrell Williams.
- Take a crash course in new journalism with Young Chicago Authors.
- See where fashion meets tech when DYN’s Digital Divas help you make accessories that glow.
- Experience an Open Mic session with Hive, Digital Youth Network and L.Y.R.I.C. Mentoring in a teens-only space called Lyricist Loft.
In addition to these many activities, students can enter to win prizes such as Cubs and White Sox tickets and iPad Minis. For more information on this event, visit www.ChicagoCityofLearning.org/DestinationChicago, or watch the video recap of the Destination: Chicago e vent held in January.