CPS has reopened the application period for its College and Career Academies. The new deadline to submit an application is April 16, 2010.
CPS College and Career Academies feature a unique, proven approach to preparing high school students for college and career success. Utilizing state-of-the-art labs, students are engaged in industry-focused technical instruction that supplements CPS' college prep core curriculum. Students receive real-world training and exposure to job shadowing and internships, soft skills training, and opportunities to receive scholarships, industry-recognized credentials and college credit.
The academies are housed in existing high schools and have expanded to citywide boundaries to enable students to select the program they would like to participate in, even if it is not offered at their neighborhood school. There are 11 schools housing College and Career Academies included in the 2010-2011 application.
Students will be enrolled at the freshman level in fall 2010. Applications from current 8th grade students must be postmarked by April 16, 2010.
Before you download and get ready to complete the application below, be sure to have the following items handy:
- Personal Information: Applicant's name, address, CPS ID number (if student is a current CPS student), gender, and birth date.
- IEP/504: Indicate if the student has an IEP or 504 Plan. If yes, include a copy of the IEP or 504 Plan.
- Parent/Guardian information: Provide a parent/guardian's name, work/cell and home telephone numbers.
- For non-CPS students: Need to have counselor from previous school provide 2008-2009 final test scores for ISAT, ITBS, TERRA NOVA, CAT, or other test. Also must provide 2008-2009 final grades for reading, math, science and social science along with the signature of the counselor or principal from the student’s school.
College and Career Academies are now open with citywide boundaries. Download the College and Career Academy application below:
College and Career academies
The schools and associated academies that are included in the College & Career Academy application for the 2010-11 school year are:
- Allied Health Academy at Crane, Dunbar and Sullivan
- Automotive Technology Academy at Crane, Dunbar and Schurz
- Business and Finance Academy at Shurz
- Early Childhood Education Academy at Orr
- Construction and Architecture Academy at Dunbar, Fenger and Harper
- Cosmetology Academy at Dunbar
- Culinary Academy at Washington
- Culinary and Hospitality Academy at Dunbar, Fenger, Harper and Manley
- Information Technology Academy at Crane, Harlan, Orr and Washington
- Law and Public Safety Academy at Wells
- Logistics Academy at Wells
- Medical Assistant Academy at Manley
- Medical & Health Careers Academy at Crane, Dunbar and Sulivan
- Teaching Academy at Wells
Additional schools will be added to the application as the College and Career Academy sites are expanded.
For more information about College and Career Academies, call (773) 553-2108. If you have questions about the application and selection process, contact Academic Enhancement at (773) 553-2240. Learn more about Careers and Technical education.
What did you think about this story? Give us your feedback. Better yet, tell us a story about your child’s school. Share your story.
To view some of the documents provided on this page, you need Acrobat Reader. If you do not have this program, click download Adobe Acrobat Reader now and follow the instructions.