Application season may have just ended for our magnet schools and programs, however there are still several new school options for parents to choose from and apply to before the start of the 2010-2011 school year.
The 3rd annual New Schools EXPO takes place from 9:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday, January 30, at Soldier Field. The indoor event is free and open to the public.
Leaders from 85 new schools, charter and contract will be on hand to speak with parents and students. Many of these schools offer small classes, longer school days and/or years, and special themes.
At the event, parents can learn about the new school options in their communities, apply to schools at the event, and attend educational workshops.
CPS has put together a few tips for you to use when evaluating your school options:
- Make a list of characteristics you want in a school (i.e. longer school day, smaller classes, specific academic focus, career and college prep curriculum, etc.).
- Make a list of 4 -10 schools you and your child are interested in.
- Review the elementary and high school types on www.cps.edu that match your criteria. Once you’ve selected your criteria, select specific schools that pique your interest, and then select the compare button. This will allow you to compare up to four schools at a time on one page.
- Schedule appointments for school tours and meetings with school leaders. You can find more information about any school via our Find a school section. To identify your neighborhood school, visit the school locator website.
- Talk to other parents with children at the schools.
- Apply to multiple schools because some schools will have a waiting list.
Parking is free for event attendees. If you’re coming by public transportation, a free trolley will run between Soldier Field and the Roosevelt “L” station.
For more information, visit Parents for School Choice or call 1-888-769-2464.