The Chicago Public Schools After-School All-Stars (ASAS) is a program that provides schools with the tools and resources to develop and execute an enrichment strategy that will improve K-8th grade students' sense of school belonging and cultivate engaged 21st century learners and leaders.
ASAS Partner Schools provide a comprehensive after school program for approximately 4 hours each week, 20 weeks per year, in addition to the four hours of academic Supplemental Educational Services (SES) some students receive. ASAS programming includes purposeful activities such as: sports, dance, drama, art, technology, leadership, and healthy cooking and serves about 35,000 students in 241 schools.
The vision of the After-School All-Stars program is to provide elementary school students with opportunities to grow academically, socially and emotionally in a safe and supportive school environment during the out of school time hours.
Participation in ASAS has the following benefits:
- Kids are more likely to graduate and get better grades and ISAT scores.
- Students improve regular school day attendance and behavior.
- After-school programming places children in a safe and supervised environment, therefore reducing their exposure to juvenile crime and substances.
Students attending a school with the After-School-All-Stars program may participate. To find out the schools’ specific enrollment process and requirements, contact the school’s after-school coordinator.
ASAS believes that students will grow academically, socially and emotionally if a school is committed to delivering quality youth programming and works to foster an environment that taps into a student's motivation to attend and engage. ASAS considers high quality programming to include youth-centered principles adopted from the Center for Youth Program Quality:
- Authentic Engagement of students in purposeful activities that build life skills and develop students into 21st century learners and leaders.
- Meaningful Interaction and Supportive Environments where program staff serve as caring adults to students and foster connections among students.
- Physically, Socially and Emotionally Safe Environments where students feel physically safe, accepted, valued as individuals and can express their unique passions and talents.
- Incorporation of Student Voice in decision making about activities and activity content; providing a diverse offering of activities from which students can select.
After-School All-Stars is part of a national network of 13 cities that provide comprehensive after school programming to middle school students across the country.