They may spend their time on the sidelines during most athletic events, but it's their encouragement, support, and perseverance that keep both the team and the fans in the game.
The Spirit Program serves as support groups for all CPS athletic programs, competitions, and other school functions.
The program varies from school to school, but could encompass cheerleading teams, pom-pon teams, and dance teams. The program is only offered at the Varsity level, although underclassmen make up the majority of participants.
The Spirit Program is divided into two seasons: fall and winter. The number of schools that participate varies depending on the season. On average, during the fall season 69 schools participate; 55 schools participate during winter season; and 30 participate in the City Championship.
The Chicago Public League offers five levels of competition for a title:
- Small cheer includes 8-12 participants
- Large cheer includes 13-20 participants
- Small pom-pon includes 8-12 participants
- Large pom-pon includes 13-20 participants
- Dance includes 8-20 participants
The CPS City Championships will take place December 13, 2014. Contact your school’s Athletic Director, or the Regional Athletic Director for Spirit, Elizabeth Almaguer, for more information.
- 1st contest may be held: November 3, 2014
- Deadline for Central Office Record Sheets: November 14, 2014 (Winter season)
- Registration deadline for City Championship: November 14, 2014
- CPS City Championship: December 13, 2014
- Rosters Due to IHSA for State Sectionals: January 12, 2015
- IHSA State Sectionals: January 24, 2015 (Dance), January 31, 2015 (Cheer)
- State Finals: January 31 - February 1, 2015 (Dance)
- State Finals: February 6-7, 2015 (Cheer)
Join the team
Students interested in the spirit (co-ed cheer & pom) program should contact the Athletic Director at their school. Your school will be able to provide more information about eligibility and team tryouts.
The latest sports news and scores are available online at the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times.
For more information contact the Regional Athletic Director for co-ed spirit (cheer & pom-pon), Elizabeth Almaguer at (773) 534-0728.