Illinois has awarded Chicago Public Schools a $12.5 million Reading First grant that supports expanded reading programs at 116 Chicago Public Elementary Schools. The grant focuses on K-3 student literacy learning and teacher training to improve Adequate Yearly Progress for low-performing schools. The focus of the Illinois Reading First grant is to support schools in implementing a comprehensive reading program rooted in scientifically based reading research and aligned to the Illinois Learning Standards.
- Apply research-based strategies to improve reading instruction and student literacy achievement
- Select and develop effective, research-based instructional and assessment tools to improve diagnostic and classroom instruction
- Improve the selection and quality of classroom reading materials
- Impact students' after-school reading habits
- School support and teacher training will improve Adequate Yearly Progress for low-performing schools
For more information about Reading First, please visit the website below.