The Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) was signed into law as part of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998. GEAR UP provides student support in and out of school, teacher professional development and parent support programs, all designed to strengthen academic programs and student services in the schools.
- Increase postsecondary options for low-income students
- Increase high school graduation rate
- Focus on student development
- Prepare students for college
- Provide professional development for teachers
Visit the U.S. Department of Education to learn more about the national GEAR UP program.