The Chicago Public Schools' Bureau of Student Transportation strives to improve student achievement by providing safe, timely, and cost-effective transportation for all eligible students in accordance with federal, state, and local laws, as well as City ordinances and City of Chicago Board of Education policies and procedures.
CPS provides transportation for a limited number of students:
- Students accepted into an Options for Knowledge Program
- Those students who cannot attend their neighborhood school because of overcrowding
- Students who require transportation as a support service because of special needs
In an effort to improve the safety, accountability and efficiencies in transportation, the Bureau of Student Transportation Services is implementing a bus locator and student ridership system. With this new system the District will:
- Be able to communicate with parents on the whereabouts of their child in transit
- Be able to locate a bus should an emergency situation arise
- Be able to provide accurate data to state and federal agencies for funding purposes
If you are the parent of a child with disabilities for whom transportation is provided pursuant to an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan and your child is experiencing transportation related problems, call (773) 553-2860 for immediate assistance.