Each day, CPS serves more than 77,000 school breakfasts and 280,000 school lunches, providing our students with the nutrition necessary for healthy growth and intellectual development, in compliance with city, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
- Offer nutritious, appetizing meals that will contribute to the growth and good health of our students
- Provide a safe and pleasant environment for children's meals at school
- Contribute to our students' understanding of the benefits of eating healthy foods
- Comply with all city, state and federal regulations governing the preparation, serving and storage of school meals
- Maintain records and other procedures related to government programs
- A well-balanced, healthy diet will contribute to students being more alert and predisposed to learning.
- Children are more likely to eat the healthy food offered in a safe and pleasant environment.
- Children who receive instruction on nutrition will learn to make healthy food choices throughout their lives.
- Compliance with city, state and federal regulations will ensure correct and safe preparation, serving and storage of food in the schools.
Wellness Healthy Snack and Beverage Policy
All food outside of the National School Lunch and Breakfast program, including vending, should meet the requirements outlined in the Healthy Snack and Beverage Policy. The approved vending snack document lists snacks that meet the requirements. Please read the newly revised Local School Wellness Policy for school requirements around meals, nutrition education, physical activity and PE.