Change in Meal Menu Webpage Link
With the change in Nutrition Support Service (NSS) food service vendor to Aramark, the web address for our meal-menu site has now been changed.
The new simple menu web-link is cps.edu/menu
Please also note other important NSS information:
New NSS Website Link: cps.edu/food
Questions/Comments for NSS: email@example.com
The mission of Nutrition Support Services (NSS) is to support Chicago Public Schools' academic community by providing nutritious and appealing meals with superior service to every student, every school day. NSS is the third largest K-12 food service department in the US and annually serves 75 million meals to 400,000 students through its 630 food campuses. The department is staffed with 3,600 kitchen employees and has an annual operating budget of $240 million.
Department Description/ Major Programs
The new CPS nutrition standard exceeds the Gold Standard Menus for Healthier US School Challenge and provides increased access to healthier food for all our students. Other USDA programs implemented to meet our goals include:
- School Breakfast Program
- National School Lunch Program
- Child and Adult Care Food Program
- After School Care Snack Program
- Seamless Summer Program
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Program
In addition, the Health and Wellness Team initiatives to complement our departmental goals include:
- Promote and assist schools in achieving the rigorous criteria of the USDA's Healthier US School Challenge
- Promote nutrition education for all students
- Encourage healthy school fundraising (e.g. Jamba Juice pilot for Summer LunchStop)
- Several pilot programs currently being implemented including FoodShare, LunchStop, Farm to School
- Assisted 55 schools in achieving certification for the USDA HealthierUS School Challenge
- Universal Breakfast in the Classroom program increased the number of student breakfast meals by approximately 30%
- Adapted breakfast in the classroom model to five pilot High Schools and increased breakfast participation by an average of 300%
- Planned and executed 4LunchStop Summer Food pilot programs
- FoodShare piloted at approximately 40 schools
- Fresh local produce procurement topped approximately $2.3 million dollars for FY2012
- Expanded professional development training in FY2012 to include training session for lunchroom attendants, cooks and porters and beginner computer training to School Dining Managers in preparation for Point of Sale ("POS") implementation.
Key Strategic Initiatives
In order to achieve future departmental goals, Nutrition Support Services current initiatives target key areas where development and improvement are needed:
- Increase participation in the breakfast, lunch, snack and summer meal programs through the creation of more appetizing and healthier menus.
- Implement the Community Eligibility Option program as an alternative to collecting, approving, and verifying household eligibility applications for free and reduced-price eligible students in order to increase participation rates through streamlined reimbursement tracking.
- Minimize budget impact of full school day and longer school year without compromising service through closing positions, reducing unnecessary PD days, and increasing meals served per hour.
- Design and implement Meal Management -Point of Sale System for the district.
- Increase FoodShare to 200 schools.
- Pilot "family style" serving for 14 Preferred Meal Systems schools to increase participation.
Nutrition Support Services
125 South Clark Street
Chicago, Illinois 60603
Phone: (773) 553-2830
Fax: (773) 553-2831
Summer Food Programs
Community Eligibility Option (CEO) Program
Breakfast in the Classroom
CPS Parent School Food Advisory Group
USDA School Meals
LearnWELL LunchStop program