Change in Meal Menu Webpage Link
With the change in Nutrition Support Service (NSS) food service vendor to Aramark, the web address for our meal-menu site has now been changed.
The new simple menu web-link is cps.edu/menu
Please also note other important NSS information:
New NSS Website Link: cps.edu/food
Questions/Comments for NSS: email@example.com
Nutrition Support Services (NSS) is the third largest K-12 food service in the US and annually serves 75 million meals to over 400,000 students through its 665 food campuses.
Department Description/Major Programs
The CPS nutrition standards meet the criteria for Gold Standard Menus for Healthier US School Challenge and provide increased access to healthier food for all our students. Other USDA programs implemented to meet our goals include:
- National School Breakfast Program
- National School Lunch Program
- Child and Adult Care Food Program
- After School Snack and Meals Program
- Seamless Summer Program
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
In addition, the Health and Wellness Team initiatives to complement our departmental goals include:
- Promote and assist schools in achieving the rigorous criteria of the USDA’s Healthier US School Challenge
- Promote nutrition education for all students
- Encourage healthy school fundraising
- Assisted 130 schools in achieving certification for the USDA Healthier US School Challenge
- Universal Breakfast in the Classroom program increased the number of student breakfast meals my approximately 30%
- LunchStop Summer Food served nearly 60,000 meals at LunchStop sites
- FoodShare piloted at approximately 40 schools
- Fresh local produce procurement topped approximately 5.7 million dollars for FY2013-2014
- Expanded professional development training in 2013-2014 to include training sessions for lunchroom attendants, cooks and porters and beginner computer training to School Dining Managers.
- Implemented point of sale (POS) at all schools
- Free breakfast and lunch for all CPS students every day through the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)
Key Strategic Initiatives
In order to achieve future departmental goals, Nutrition Support Services current initiatives target key areas where development and improvement are needed:
- Increase participation in the breakfast, lunch, snack and summer meal programs by providing healthy and delicious meals.
- Implement the Community Eligibility program as an alternative to collecting, approving and verifying household eligibility applications for free and reduced-price eligible students in order to increase participation rates through streamlined reimbursement tracking.
- Minimize budget impact of full school day and longer school year without compromising service through closing positions, reducing unnecessary PD days, and increasing meals served per hour.
- Design and implement Meal Management-Point of Sale System for the district.
- Converted 49 sites from modular meals to bulk prep through equipment and facility updates.
Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)
USDA School Meals
LearnWELL LunchStop program